Intimate moments

 

Fabric cut out of frilly bra and knickers laying on a laundry bag

Over the last week or so I have been creating miniature laundry bags filled with tiny items of clothing. It’s been fun rifling through my fabrics box and making little shirts, knickers and funky trousers. Some are embellished with ribbon, lace, or buttons; and all are backed with paper. The paper is for participants to write on; sharing their stories, memories, and associations with launderettes and washing chores. For those unable to write or hold a pen, an online version has been made available.

Eleven fabric laundry packs have been sent out, to a variety of people all over the country. One has even been completed and returned already. It was really exciting to undo the drawstring on the bag and peek inside, a bit like opening a stocking at Christmas. I enjoyed this sharing process, feeling privileged to hear someone else’s experiences and perspectives. It’s a reminder of how much more personal receiving a letter is than an email. There’s something about the physical tearing of the envelope and discovering what lies within, that makes it a more intimate exchange than just clicking on a button. I enjoy participatory art activities, they engage more of your senses and allow a more immersive experience. My hope is that the laundry bags will serve as props, initiating conversations, jogging memories, focusing thoughts and ultimately bringing me insight into other people’s routines, habits, and escapades in all things laundry.

I’ll be looking forward to sharing some of the stories I’ve received, in my next blog post.


Comments