Process in a pandemic

 

Text handwritten on paper laundry cut-out “A Haiku by R.Small:  Oh no! Round and round,  I see it in the window,  Your phone…oh no…"

I have been awaiting the return of the mini laundry bags, that I sent out a few weeks back. I love the anticipation of receiving old-fashioned snail mail, so have been excitedly checking the letterbox each morning. Four have been returned already! I have really enjoyed reading the comments that participants have written on the back of all the outfits. Some are funny or insightful, some document the mundanity that comes with doing domestic chores, some reveal challenges, and some echo a fondness and nostalgia for the launderette itself.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the other laundry bags I posted have arrived ok, and that they will soon wend their way back to me. It’s always a risk, working remotely like this. Even the most enthusiastic of participants have busy lives, and there is just no accounting for the unexpected, especially in the midst of a pandemic. You can pour all the love and attention you like, into what you send out, but there are no guarantees that you’ll receive anything back. Such is the way of things. But as an artist who is shielding, there are few alternatives for more direct, in-person activities right now. The plus side is, lots of people are more open to doing things a bit differently or trying things they wouldn’t ordinarily have time to do. For many people lockdown has introduced all sorts of new activities from baking sourdough loaves, to zooming with granny. Perhaps the unpredictability of this topsy-turvy time will bring me a better rate of return for my little laundry bags after all?  

Social engagement in the midst of a pandemic was always going to be a bit of challenge. As I am unable to go to the shops or the post office, even simple aspects like getting stamps and mailing the packages, wasn’t as straight forward as it might have been. Twice I ordered books of stamps with my supermarket delivery, and twice they failed to arrive. Buying postage from Royal Mail online and printing out the labels worked for the outward postage, but due to the seven-day window in which to use it, it wasn’t viable for the return envelopes I was providing  participants. In the end I had to enlist the help of a local volunteer, to buy stamps from the shop on my behalf. As it happens, not all of my engagement for this project will be by post. I am aware that a hands-on, visual activity that involves writing, manual dexterity and putting aside time, isn’t going to be suitable for everyone.  So, in order to make the process more accessible, I am trying out an app that allows me to present a video version with captions, in a more personable and direct way. Participants will be able to reply to me directly, by video, audio or text. I’m hoping this will offer a more intimate interaction, than just emailing a list of questions. It’s not something I’ve used before, so it will be interesting to see how it fares. I’ll keep you posted!

In the meantime, I thought I’d have an airing of some of the dirty laundry I’ve received so far…

 “I like going to the launderette it makes me feel as if I’m in control of household jobs… obvious to anyone I know that I never am! But I can pretend, 'Yeah, look at me, just keeping my house clean…' 
Really it’s a struggle! 
I like seeing people and their washing too. Nosey!”

Mini laundry items and paper cut-out with handwritten text.


“I have an old friend who travels an hour and a half on a bus to their launderette as they’re supposedly good with stains. I’d ask but I’m really not so sure I want to know.” 

Handwritten anecdote on paper cut-out laundry shape.

 

“The guy who runs my launderette can be kind of CREEPY. He gives me compliments I don’t want and finds excuses to shake my hand, holding on too long."

handwriting on paper cut-out laundry shape.


“When I’m very tired (ill) I don’t have the energy or strength to carry my clothes to the launderette”


Laundry shaped paper cut-outs with text handwritten on it.

“We don’t have a washing machine. Some people react with surprise if you say that.”

Comments